Grapefruit Seed Extract is derived from the seeds and membrane portion of the grapefruit. It is reputed to have effective broad spectrum anti-microbial properties. Specifically, Grapefruit Seed Extract has demonstrated its ability to kill or inhibit the growth of a wide array of potentially harmful bacteria, fungi, viruses and protozoan parasites. It has become increasingly popular in manufacturing circles as a natural preservative, though it is important to note that Grapefruit Seed Extract is not in itself a full-spectrum preservative.
Citrus grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract (and) Glycerin.
- Can be used in a wide variety of personal care formulation for reliable preservation.
- Soluble in water and alcohol and organic solvents.
- Compatible with most cosmetic raw materials.
- Recommended use levels in a finished formulation is 0.1 to 1.0%.
- It is effective over a broad pH range from 3–4.